Do funds put in a brand new traditional IRA count ...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rrieger

Do funds put in a brand new traditional IRA count as a "Contributions" if they came from an inservice rollover of a 401k? Or does my 1099-R form account for these funds?

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Do funds put in a brand new traditional IRA count as a "Contributions" if they came from an inservice rollover of a 401k? Or does my 1099-R form account for these funds?

No, a rollover is not a new contribution.  Don't enter under Deductions & Credits anything having to do this this distribution and rollover from the 401(k) to the IRA.  Just enter the Form 1099-R and answer the follow-up questions.

GloriaL
Expert Alumni

No, rollovers from a 401K to a new IRA do not count as a contribution on your tax return.  The 1099-R that you receive for the rollover should indicated that the monies used to fund the new IRA were a rollover.  That is indicated on your 1099-R with a code G in box 7.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings