turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Traditional IRA. My income in 2019 was $8,000, yet when I entered my $6,000 traditional IRA contribution, my return amount didn't increase?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Traditional IRA. My income in 2019 was $8,000, yet when I entered my $6,000 traditional IRA contribution, my return amount didn't increase?

Probably because you have 0 tax liability so the IRA contribution will not increase your refund amount.

Hi and thanks for the reply.  I thought that the IRA deductability was based on income level.  I didn't know that it was also dependent upon tax liability.  Thanks again.  Mike

you get no deduction.,

You should have the custodian recharacterize your IRA to become a Roth IRA. Before July 15.

Great forum!  Not!  Can't change my screen name OR delete my own messages.  Terrible.  Thanks for the non-support.

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion.  Why no deduction though?  Because I had no tax liability?

@jamesmac007 wrote:

Great forum!  Not!  Can't change my screen name OR delete my own messages.  Terrible.  Thanks for the non-support.

You can have a Moderator change your profile screen name; i.e. the name that displays in this user forum.  It does not change your User ID for your Intuit account; only changes what displays in public in this forum.   To do so, post a request in the special thread at the link below which was set up for changing screen names, and a Moderator should see it and help you.  It may or may not be this weekend.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/get-started-in-community/help/how-do-i-change-my-profile-username-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies