turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nick55
Returning Member

Deductible IRA contribution shows as nondeductible after filing

Did anyone else run into issues with deductible IRA contributions? The PDF of my return that I downloaded when I e-filed correctly shows my IRA contribution as deductible (includes 1040 Schedule 1). When I logged into my account after e-filing, the site now shows a significantly higher federal tax. When I re-download the PDF of my return, 1040 Schedule 1 is missing and 8606 (that was not present on the original return) is included. Does anyone know what's going on?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

if you do not meet the eligibility rules for a deduction, what you see is what is going to happen.

Always print a copy of your completed tax return for your records, and review it carefully before e-Filing.
You will need it if you are audited by the IRS, or to amend if a TurboTax update changes your return or for any other reason.
AND, to find your AGI next year.

nick55
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply. I did print out a copy of the return that TurboTax generated when I initially e-filed and double checked every form before filing. It correctly shows my IRA contribution as deductible (which it should be according to the IRS rules). It has form 1040 Schedule 1 and it does not have form 8606. I used the 1040-V from the initial return that TurboTax generated to pay the IRS (I have the PDF).

My issue is that when I next logged on to the website after my return had been accepted, I noticed that the amount due had increased substantially. So I re-downloaded the return (the same 2019 return) and compared it to the one that I had from when I initially e-filed. The "new" one shows the contribution as nondeductible. Mind you the 1040-V I sent to the IRS had the lower amount that TurboTax initially generated. In short, I now have two 1040-V's for 2019 that TurboTax generated with vastly different amounts.

It seems odd that TurboTax would make changes to my return after I reviewed the return and authorized the e-file. I suppose I can ask the IRS for my own tax return to see what TurboTax actually sent, but this feels like something I shouldn't have to do.

I'm sorry to have to tell you but there is an old  nasty bug in TurboTax that I guess still has not been fixed.

When you print your return you  can be looking at a stale version of your return.

Check your total income to verify that you are eligible to deduct an IRA contribution;

If you or your spouse was covered by an employer retirement plan at any time during the year for which contributions were made, your deduction may be further limited.

nick55
Returning Member

Thanks for the info. That seems like a really bad bug considering I printed the return when the site told me to, i.e. right before clicking submit for e-filing. I'll get a copy from the IRS to confirm what was submitted either way.

I'm still concerned about TurboTax's calculations. According to the 2019 guidelines, if neither you nor your spouse is covered by a plan at work (which is the case), the deduction is not limited by your AGI. My limit is 6k. I contributed 6k. My understanding is that I should be able to deduct 6k. I'm going to try and call tomorrow to get someone to look it over since I was hung up on today. Please let me know if there's some other way I should be reporting this.

Thanks again for the feedback.

The only other way it is non-deductible is that you took the election to make it non-deductible .

Of course, you didn't do that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies