turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

blee3467

Daughter receives survivor benefits for her deceased mom, do I claim them on my taxes? Not only Social Security

My 16 year old daughter receives survivor benefits for her deceased mother from both social security and state retirement system. Her mother and I were divorced when she passed away. My daughter lived with me for almost all of 2016.

She received $6,888 (SSA-1099) from social security and $9400 (1099-R) from state retirement system. No taxes were withheld from the retirement monies. 

My daughter's and my name both appear on the tax forms but her SSN is on both.

Do I claim the money on my tax return or does she need to file her own?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Patrice

Daughter receives survivor benefits for her deceased mom, do I claim them on my taxes? Not only Social Security

No, you would not claim your daughter's survivor benefits on your tax return.  Your daughter's survivors benefits will not affect your taxes in any way since you do not have to report this income on your tax return.

blee3467

So I will need to file a return for her?
Patrice

Yes, based on the information that you stated, your daughter is required to file an income tax return.

A dependent whose gross income is only unearned income (Survivor benefits and Social Security are both considered unearned income)  must file a return if the gross income is more than the amount listed in the following table.

Marital Status Amount
Single
Under 65 and not blind $1,050
Either 65 or older or blind $2,600
65 or older and blind $4,150
Married*
Under 65 and not blind $1,050
Either 65 or older or blind $2,300
65 or older and blind $3,550
*If a dependent's spouse itemizes deductions on a separate return, the dependent must file a return if the dependent has $5 or more of gross income (earned and/or unearned).
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/publications/p929/ar02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000203743">https://www.irs.gov/pu...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies