turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

quinined

I rolled over a 401k to a trad IRA. My 1099-R says taxable amount 0. Box 2b total dist. is checked. My MA state tax won't let me file. Asks for tax exempt pension amt?

I rolled over a 401k to a traditional IRA. My 1099-R says taxable amount 0. Box 2b total distribution is checked. My MA state tax won't let me e-file. Asks for me to enter a tax exempt pension amount?

I have tried entering the full gross distribution into the box but it won't let me e-file.  I have also entered in 0 and that will not work either.  Turbo tax only asks if my 401k was rolled to a Roth IRA.  When I select no (which is accurate), it won't let me e-file.  Does anyone have advice about what I should be putting in the "Tax-Exempt Pension" line to allow an e-file?  Thank you!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I rolled over a 401k to a trad IRA. My 1099-R says taxable amount 0. Box 2b total dist. is checked. My MA state tax won't let me file. Asks for tax exempt pension amt?

Edit your 1099-R entry

when TurboTax asks you Where Is This Distribution From?

Select None of the Above.

quinined

Thank you fanfare for answering.  I went back to check, and the only option to select "none of the above" was already selected.  Are you referring to where it asks if the money was rolled over to a Roth or not?  If so, it only give a yes or no option.  If this is in reference to the question that says, 'First, choose the category that best fits this 1099-R. Massachusetts does not tax distributions from the categories listed below; if none apply, choose "None of the above."'  That was also already selected.  Do you or does anyone else have any other suggestions?  

What code is in box 7?  It is not a distribution.  Probably should be code G.  @dmertz
Did they do a direct transfer or take out any withholding?  
dmertz
Level 15

It sounds like a code G Form 1099-R has been entered correctly in the federal section if you answer No to both of TurboTax's questions about moving the money to a Roth account.  I probably can't help much with issues regarding a Massachusetts tax return, but since this was a distribution form a 401(k), I would answer the Massachusetts module's question based on that.
quinined

Code G is in box 7.  Box 2a. taxable amount says 0.  2b says total distribution.  box 12 state tax withheld is 0 and state distribution is 0.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies