Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRA distribution- if I loan myself 1/2 of the cash in my current IRA, can I pay myself back with the remaining cash within 60 days? Will this prevent the 10% tax fee?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

IRA distribution- if I loan myself 1/2 of the cash in my current IRA, can I pay myself back with the remaining cash within 60 days? Will this prevent the 10% tax fee?

If you take an IRA distribution, yes, you have 60 days to return the money.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

The funds in this IRA are currently sitting as cash. I have an IRA that has stocks but I haven't used that money yet. if I take the distribution do i have to do it before 4/15/2019?  How many times can you do this without penalty during a 12 month period?

Clarification- I haven't used the cash yet.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

It doesn't matter what form the money is that is in your IRA, stocks, cash, etc. What counts is when you take a distribution. Once you take the money out, start counting the 60 days.You can take a distribution any time during the year.
You have 60 days from the date you receive an IRA or retirement plan distribution to roll it over to another plan or IRA. The IRS may waive the 60-day rollover requirement in certain situations if you missed the deadline because of circumstances beyond your control.

IRA one-rollover-per-year rule
You generally cannot make more than one rollover from the same IRA within a 1-year period. You also cannot make a rollover during this 1-year period from the IRA to which the distribution was rolled over.

Just to confirm, if I am taking the distribution from the same IRA that is sitting as cash, and, stocks, can I repay myself into the same IRA within 60 days to pay myself back?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes.

why do you need cash for 60 days and why will you have that cash back 58 days from now.?
Never understood this.

Maybe OP is getting a bonus check?  A tax refund?
IRA loans are not permitted under law.

tax refunds can be delayed or offset, as anybody here can attest
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If you take an IRA distribution, yes, you have 60 days to return the money.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies