Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dad1669
Returning Member

Can you help me override the entry for line 4, Pensions and annuities, override the entry for line 4, Pensions and annuities, taxable amount in Turbo Tax Premier 2018?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Can you help me override the entry for line 4, Pensions and annuities, override the entry for line 4, Pensions and annuities, taxable amount in Turbo Tax Premier 2018?

See the following FAQ as to how to add your housing allowance as negative miscellaneous income:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5412422

View solution in original post

9 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

With Forms 1099-R and related information entered properly, there should be no need to override line 4a or 4b on Form 1040.  Why do you think you need to override?
Dad1669
Returning Member

Thanks for your reply.  I am a retired Presbyterian minister and my pension benefits are reduced by the the amount authorized by the Board of Pensions as minister's housing costs.  In my case those costs exceed the pension received.  In previous years I could enter zero in the line 4b, taxable amount, and attach a simple explanation in an annex to the return.  This year's version does not allow this, and automatically calculates the total using the gross distribution figure.  I want to declare the gross distribution on which federal income tax has been withheld.  I see that the CD/Download of the same program allows for an override, but my online version does not.  Is there a work-around?
Dad1669
Returning Member

I might add that had I known about this beforehand, I would have purchased that version, but I only discovered the problem until after I had paid for the one I have!
dmertz
Level 15

See the following FAQ as to how to add your housing allowance as negative miscellaneous income:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5412422

Dad1669
Returning Member

I can't thank you enough for this clear response, for which I have been searching for weeks!  I have followed the indications you gave to the letter, and the result was most gratifying.  Kudos!
wagnerhs

Hi - I tried the recommended solution but, unfortunately, it still picks up the gross amount. Box 2b - Taxable amount not determined - is checked, and the net amount is entered in 2a - Taxable amount. I haven't been able to determine what I might be missing or entering incorrectly. Any help will be most appreciated!
dmertz
Level 15

The only reason that I can imagine that the procedure given in the answer is not working is if the distribution is from an IRA and the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is marked on the Form 1099-R.  I don't know if a minister's housing allowance is permitted from an IRA distribution, but if it is, you'll have to enter it as negative miscellaneous income as if box 2b Taxable amount not determined was not marked.
Dad1669
Returning Member

I cannot add to dmertz's reply.  If your income is reported on a 1099-R form his earlier instruction should work, at least they did for me.
wagnerhs

Thanks much. The IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is marked on the 1099-R so I'll need to go with the negative income approach. I appreciate the explanation!!

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.62m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v