Dad1669

Can you help me override the entry for line 4, Pensions and annuities, override the entry for line 4, Pensions and annuities, taxable amount in Turbo Tax Premier 2018?

dmertz

See the following FAQ as to how to add your housing allowance as negative miscellaneous income:

dmertz

With Forms 1099-R and related information entered properly, there should be no need to override line 4a or 4b on Form 1040.  Why do you think you need to override?
Dad1669

Thanks for your reply.  I am a retired Presbyterian minister and my pension benefits are reduced by the the amount authorized by the Board of Pensions as minister's housing costs.  In my case those costs exceed the pension received.  In previous years I could enter zero in the line 4b, taxable amount, and attach a simple explanation in an annex to the return.  This year's version does not allow this, and automatically calculates the total using the gross distribution figure.  I want to declare the gross distribution on which federal income tax has been withheld.  I see that the CD/Download of the same program allows for an override, but my online version does not.  Is there a work-around?
Dad1669

I might add that had I known about this beforehand, I would have purchased that version, but I only discovered the problem until after I had paid for the one I have!
dmertz

Dad1669

I can't thank you enough for this clear response, for which I have been searching for weeks!  I have followed the indications you gave to the letter, and the result was most gratifying.  Kudos!
wagnerhs

Hi - I tried the recommended solution but, unfortunately, it still picks up the gross amount. Box 2b - Taxable amount not determined - is checked, and the net amount is entered in 2a - Taxable amount. I haven't been able to determine what I might be missing or entering incorrectly. Any help will be most appreciated!
dmertz

The only reason that I can imagine that the procedure given in the answer is not working is if the distribution is from an IRA and the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is marked on the Form 1099-R.  I don't know if a minister's housing allowance is permitted from an IRA distribution, but if it is, you'll have to enter it as negative miscellaneous income as if box 2b Taxable amount not determined was not marked.
Dad1669

I cannot add to dmertz's reply.  If your income is reported on a 1099-R form his earlier instruction should work, at least they did for me.
wagnerhs

Thanks much. The IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is marked on the 1099-R so I'll need to go with the negative income approach. I appreciate the explanation!!