Ask the Experts about self-employment >> Event happening NOW!
avazquez853

Can I write off distribution from my 401K paid to my ex-wife through a QDRO as a loss, not as a divorce settlement?

I understand that 401K distribution through a QDRO as part of a divorce settlement can not be deducted as alimony, but can it be written off as another loss, since in essence, I am losing monetary value of my retirement account?

macuser_22

No. It is not a loss.  It is a divorce settlement.   A QDRO payment should go from the plan directly to your ex and she should receive a 1099-R and pay the tax.  There is  nothing for you to  do or report.

macuser_22

NO.  But an interesting thought pattern.

The ex should get her own 1099-R for the distribution so you have nothing to report on your return.