turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I take a 401k loan of my employers pre tax match and use it to fund a Roth IRA, as a way to avoid paying tax on a conversion and instead just paying interest on the loan?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Can I take a 401k loan of my employers pre tax match and use it to fund a Roth IRA, as a way to avoid paying tax on a conversion and instead just paying interest on the loan?

What you propose does not avoid paying taxes on the money in the 401(k).  You can use the funds that you obtain from a 401(k) to fund a Roth IRA contribution, but you'll pay interest to the 401(k) on the loan and all of the money that you pay back, including the interest, will still eventually be taxable when eventually distributed from the 401(k).

Given that tax rates are scheduled to return to higher levels in 2026, it might be better to pay taxes now on a Roth conversion rather than continue to defer taxes and to also pay interest.  Of course that requires you to have a traditional account from which you can make a Roth conversion or rollover to a Roth account.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies