turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

swtx

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can I deduct my contributions to the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC)?

No

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can I deduct my contributions to the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC)?

Yes, you can deduct them as a Charitable Donation if you file Schedule A.

How to get to the area to enter your donations  While inside the software and working on your return, type charitable donation in the Search at the top of the screen (you may see a magnifying glass there).  There will be a popup that says Jump to charitable donation .  Select that link. 

Alternatively, you can go to the Deductions & Credits tab, then Charitable Donations.

HUCM
Returning Member

WRONG for 2020.  According to OPM, you can deduct even if you take the standard deduction and do not itemize.

OPM sent out a message that states:

"The Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) is one of the largest and most successful workplace fundraising campaigns in the world. After years of public service, federal retirees may want to continue giving back to their community, country, and people around the world. Whether you are returning or pledging for the first time, participation in the CFC is a great way to extend that spirit of service, as the funds raised help those who need it most.

Did you know that new legislation in 2020 allows taxpayers to deduct $300 ($600 for married couples) for qualifying charitable donations even when taking the standard deduction? Additionally, if you need to make a required minimum distribution from your retirement account, you can give to your favorite charities through the CFC! Pledge today at GiveCFC.org.

Please take a look at this encouragement video:

https://givecfc.org/sites/cfc.org/files/2020%20CFC%20Retiree%20Video.mp4

OPM Retirement Services

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies