Solved: Can I claim my wife as a dependent if she receives social security?

Can I claim my wife as a dependent if she receives social security?

My wife only receives social security  as income.  Can I claim her as a dependent on my taxes?

Alumni

No, you can not ever claim your spouse as a dependent. You can file as Married Filing Jointly, and that gives you a personal exemption for each of you. MFJ is almost always the best filing status, and you can use that even if one of you receives only social security.

Alumni

No, you cannot. 

Personal and dependent exemptions have been suspended in tax years 2018 through 2025 due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017.  For more information, click here: Spouse as dependent 

[Edited 3/9/2020 | 7:09PM]