turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my sister who is 27 years old as my dependent? She has no income, I provided all expenses and lived with me for 10 month. That being said, IRS age limit is 24

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanO

Can I claim my sister who is 27 years old as my dependent? She has no income, I provided all expenses and lived with me for 10 month. That being said, IRS age limit is 24

Yes, you can claim your sister as a Qualifying Relative as long as you the following are met:

You can claim a dependent on your 2017 taxes as long the following requirements are met:

• You cannot claim a dependent if you, or your spouse if filing jointly, can be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer.
  • You can't claim a married person who files a joint return as a dependent unless the joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid.
  • You cannot claim a person as a dependent unless that person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.
  • You cannot claim a person as a dependent unless that person is your qualifying child or qualifying relative.

Qualifying relative tests

• This person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of another taxpayer.
  • They made less than $4,050 in 2017. (Social Security is not included)
  • You provided more than half of their financial support. More info
  • The person lived with you for the entire year as a member of your household, or they are related to you in any of the following  ways:
    • Your child, stepchild, foster child, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild). (A legally adopted child is considered your child.)
    • Your brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, stepbrother, or stepsister.
    • Your father, mother, grandparent, or other direct ancestor, but not foster parent.
    • Your stepfather or stepmother.
    • A son or daughter of your brother or sister.
    • A son or daughter of your half-brother or half-sister.
    • A brother or sister of your father or mother.
    • Your son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law.
nunez2002

my daughter is 26 years old. she is a medical school full time student. I'm supporting her and cover all her expenses. Can I claimed her as my dependent?

Please advise,

Thank You

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are able to claim your daughter as a qualifying relative. She will be listed as a dependent on your return.

Here is an article that explains the rules for claiming a qualifying relative.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies