turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my adult son, as disabled on my 2020 tax return? If he does not yet receive disability benefits.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Can I claim my adult son, as disabled on my 2020 tax return? If he does not yet receive disability benefits.

Simple answer: Yes.

Receiving disability benefits is not the lone qualifier, but it does hold a lot of weight with the IRS.

A child's disability doesn't affect tax filing until he turns 19 (24 if a full time student). Then his disability allows him to continue to be considered a "Qualifying Child" for tax purposes regardless of age. 

No specific medical diagnosis constitutes disabled to tax purposes.

“The term ‘disability’ means, with respect to an individual –

(a)        a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major            life activities of such individual;

(b)        a record of such impairment; or

(c)        being regarded as having such an impairment.”

For the IRS, disabled means -

"an individual shall be considered to be disabled if he is unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment which can be expected to result in death or to be of long-continued and indefinite duration. An individual shall not be considered to be disabled unless he furnishes proof of the existence thereof in such form and manner as the Secretary may require. "

I believe the substance of that paragraph is that it is your Doctor's decision

1. He or she cannot engage in any substantial gainful activity because of a physical or mental condition and
  2. A doctor determines the condition has lasted or can be expected to last continuously for at least a year or can lead to death.

However, the IRS defines Substantial gainful activity this way so if they have part time jobs then they are engaging in any substantial gainful activity so it would not meet the requirements.

"Substantial gainful activity is the performance of significant duties over a reasonable period of time while working for pay or profit, or in work generally done for pay or profit. Full-time work (or part-time work done at your employer's convenience) in a competitive work situation for at least the minimum wage conclusively shows that you are able to engage in substantial gainful activity. "

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies