turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can anyone advise on tips that my husband and I can do to avoid paying so much federal taxes each year? We have increase our 401k contribution, & changed our exemptions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Can anyone advise on tips that my husband and I can do to avoid paying so much federal taxes each year? We have increase our 401k contribution, & changed our exemptions.

It depends.

If you anticipate everything staying relatively the same in 2020 as it was in 2019, you should compare the amount of your income taxes withheld on your paycheck against your total wages.  Then compare this percentage against your actual taxes due in 2019.  For example, if your total tax due was $10,000, and your total taxable income was $100,000, then your taxes were 10% of your income.  You can look at your wages, and see how much withheld.  Then compare it to what you are currently withholding and make adjustments as needed.

You will need to make the changes with your employer on a W-4 Form.

W-4 Form

If you anticipate changes in your income, you will need to factor the changes into your updates to your withholdings.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

If you anticipate everything staying relatively the same in 2020 as it was in 2019, you should compare the amount of your income taxes withheld on your paycheck against your total wages.  Then compare this percentage against your actual taxes due in 2019.  For example, if your total tax due was $10,000, and your total taxable income was $100,000, then your taxes were 10% of your income.  You can look at your wages, and see how much withheld.  Then compare it to what you are currently withholding and make adjustments as needed.

You will need to make the changes with your employer on a W-4 Form.

W-4 Form

If you anticipate changes in your income, you will need to factor the changes into your updates to your withholdings.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so very much

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies