sneshka

Box 15 on my 1099-R is labeled "Health Benefits," Box 17 is marked "Dental/Vision." Turbotax boxes are Locality Tax/Distribution. Do I put my health info anyway?

Coleen3

No. Boxes 15-17 pertain to local taxes. If you paid health premiums through your retirement plan, you can include them in Medical expenses on Schedule A.

Medical, dental, and vision expenses are entered in the Deductions & Credits section:

1. With your return open, search for "Schedule A" and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  2. Answer Yes on the Did you have any medical expenses in 2017? screen.

You will then be prompted to enter your medical expenses, starting with prescriptions.

If you're using Free Edition and your medical expenses are large enough that you would benefit from itemizing deductions, you'll be prompted to upgrade to Deluxe, as Free Edition doesn't handle Schedule A.

Coleen3