Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099R 12a glitch

Turbotax won't accept for e-filing my NY return despite the fact that one (of three) 1099R forms, box 12a amount (59.88) is less than that form's box 1 amount (1197.50).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1099R 12a glitch

Box 14 is not usually required because it has been an 1099-R industrial standard for many years that if there is only one state in box 12 & 13 then the box 1 amount does not need to be allocated between two states - the entire box 1 amount is understood to be the state distribution so box 14 is just left blank.

But recently, there are at least two states that will reject 1099-R's with a state tax and a blank box 14 so it is okay to enter the box 1 amount into box 14 to satisfy the states requirement.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

8 Replies

1099R 12a glitch

Box 1 (gross distribution) and box 14a (state distribution) are the same: $1,197.50. Box 12a = NYS tax withheld = $59.88. TurboTax will not accept that amount for New York State e-filing. I'm entered it from the 1099R. No mistake of mine. TurboTax's fault. Also, TurboTax advises filing by mail, then tells me NYS only accepts income tax forms that are e-filed: It won't accept income tax forms that are mailed. This is Kafkaesque.

1099R 12a glitch

Exactly what does it say?    Is NY and the payers NY state tax ID in box 13?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

1099R 12a glitch

In my form 1099R box 13a (no box 13), labeled "State/Payer's state no." this is what is printed in the box: NY 53-42161 3.  I think the answer to your question is Yes. But TurboTax is focused on something else: it tells me that the amount in box 12a: "State tax withheld" the amount withheld = $59.88. The gross distribution ($1,197.50) was entered in box 1 and box 14 of the 1099R. Turbo Tax rejects that, telling me that the amount in box 12a, which is $59.88, cannot be greater than or equal to the gross distribution, which is $1,197.50. OBVIOUSLY $59.88 IS A HUGE AMOUNT LESS THAN $1,197.50. SO WHAT IN HELL IS TURBOTAX TALKING ABOUT?

1099R 12a glitch

If the gross amount in box 14 is the same as box 1 and box 12 is $59.88 then that sounds like a glitch in the NY e-file system that is returning the reject.

You can try contacting customer support what can look at you state return to see if they can detect an error on the, but if NY is rejecting a correct return then about the only other options is to print and mail.

Here is a TurboTax FAQ for contacting customer support.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number">https://ttlc.intuit.com...>

1099R 12a glitch

Thanks for your help. I figured the problem out intuitively: The hard copy 1099R forms from my pension plan do not match exactly the 1099R generic form TurboTax presents for you to fill out. I entered info. from my pension plan's 1099R form exactly as it was printed. That led to a duplication of "NY" on TurboTax's generic 1099R form. I went back through all my 1099R generic forms (there were 3) and deleted the extra "NY" and that fixed the problem.

1099R 12a glitch

Box 14 is not usually required because it has been an 1099-R industrial standard for many years that if there is only one state in box 12 & 13 then the box 1 amount does not need to be allocated between two states - the entire box 1 amount is understood to be the state distribution so box 14 is just left blank.

But recently, there are at least two states that will reject 1099-R's with a state tax and a blank box 14 so it is okay to enter the box 1 amount into box 14 to satisfy the states requirement.

rpwarren

1099R 12a glitch

What is the solution?

1099R 12a glitch

To satisfy NY, the solution  is to put the box 1 amount into box 14 since that is what box 14 is understood to be anyway whether it is blank or has the box 1 amount in it.    That is NY's software issue that wants an actual dollar amount in box 14 - so put it there  for them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies