cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Oct 16 is the IRS deadline–file confidently with expert help. File Now
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Being retired this whole year,can I still claim my grandkids for EITC ..my income is social security and two pensions.they live with me fulltime.

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Our digital assistant can help you.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Being retired this whole year,can I still claim my grandkids for EITC ..my income is social security and two pensions.they live with me fulltime.

EITC is for Earned Income Tax Credit.  You need earned income from W2 wages or a Net Profit from self employment income on schedule C to qualify for it.  SS and pensions and 401K and IRAs don't qualify.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

EITC is for Earned Income Tax Credit.  You need earned income from W2 wages or a Net Profit from self employment income on schedule C to qualify for it.  SS and pensions and 401K and IRAs don't qualify.

You can still claim them as dependents if they qualify as your dependents.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Any part time employment will earn you a generous EITC, with two kids as much as 40% of your wages. That assumes your pension income isn't so high as to wipe out the EITC.
The earned income credit is first calculated (actually looked up in a table) on your earned income then it is calculated on your total income (AGI). You get the lesser of the two calculated EIC numbers. See the 2017 EIC table at:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/earned_income_credit_table_1040i.pdf">https://apps...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies
v