turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emilmarie

When I go back to enter my spouse's 1099 retirement income I see no way to add my spouse. When I press add it just brings up my name again. What am I doing wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

When I go back to enter my spouse's 1099 retirement income I see no way to add my spouse. When I press add it just brings up my name again. What am I doing wrong?

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

Be sure you have your spouse's information entered in the program and your filing status is Married Filing Jointly.  If so, when you go to enter a 1099-R, on the screen Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have, there are radio buttons to indicate whether the 1099-R belongs to you or your spouse.  

To enter your spouse's 1099-R in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income.
  2. Scroll down to the Retirement Plans and Social Security section and click on the Start/Revisit box next to IRA, 4701(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R). 
  3. If you've already entered one (or more) 1099-Rs, you will see a screen Your1099-R Entries.  Click on the link Add Another 1099-R.  
  4. If you haven't yet entered a 1099-R, you will see the screen, Your 1099-R. Click Yes and then Continue.
  5. You can either import your 1099-R or click on the I'll type it in myself box
  6. If you select to enter the information yourself, you will see a screen, Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have.  Mark the radio button next to Form 1099-R, withdrawal of money from 401(k) retirement plans, pensions, IRAs, etc.
  7. Continue through the screens, answering the interview questions.

[Edited | 4/10/2020 |  9:52am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

Be sure you have your spouse's information entered in the program and your filing status is Married Filing Jointly.  If so, when you go to enter a 1099-R, on the screen Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have, there are radio buttons to indicate whether the 1099-R belongs to you or your spouse.  

To enter your spouse's 1099-R in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income.
  2. Scroll down to the Retirement Plans and Social Security section and click on the Start/Revisit box next to IRA, 4701(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R). 
  3. If you've already entered one (or more) 1099-Rs, you will see a screen Your1099-R Entries.  Click on the link Add Another 1099-R.  
  4. If you haven't yet entered a 1099-R, you will see the screen, Your 1099-R. Click Yes and then Continue.
  5. You can either import your 1099-R or click on the I'll type it in myself box
  6. If you select to enter the information yourself, you will see a screen, Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have.  Mark the radio button next to Form 1099-R, withdrawal of money from 401(k) retirement plans, pensions, IRAs, etc.
  7. Continue through the screens, answering the interview questions.

[Edited | 4/10/2020 |  9:52am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies