turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ccas60

I had 457 & 401K accts thru govt. I contributed $24k to 457 and $10k to 401K. I have not received distributions from either. What is the excess salary deferral amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

I had 457 & 401K accts thru govt. I contributed $24k to 457 and $10k to 401K. I have not received distributions from either. What is the excess salary deferral amount?

Assuming you are age 50 or older, you do not have an excess salary deferral.  This is because the 457(b) Plan has its own separate limit. 

The maximum Deferral to your 401(k) Plan is $18,000 if you are under the age of 50 or $24,000 if you are age 50 or older.  This limit is not affected by your contributions to your 457(b) Plan.

The maximum Deferral to a 457(b) Plan (Including Employer Contributions) is $18,000 if you are under the age of 50 or $24,000 if you are age 50 or older.  This limit is not affected by your contributions to your 401(k) Plan.

For additional information, click this IRS link:

How-much-salary-can-you-defer-if-youre-eligible-for-more-than-one-retirement-plan.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Assuming you are age 50 or older, you do not have an excess salary deferral.  This is because the 457(b) Plan has its own separate limit. 

The maximum Deferral to your 401(k) Plan is $18,000 if you are under the age of 50 or $24,000 if you are age 50 or older.  This limit is not affected by your contributions to your 457(b) Plan.

The maximum Deferral to a 457(b) Plan (Including Employer Contributions) is $18,000 if you are under the age of 50 or $24,000 if you are age 50 or older.  This limit is not affected by your contributions to your 401(k) Plan.

For additional information, click this IRS link:

How-much-salary-can-you-defer-if-youre-eligible-for-more-than-one-retirement-plan.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies