turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I include my United Kingdom Pension in my Federal & State Tax Forms & if so, how/where?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Should I include my United Kingdom Pension in my Federal & State Tax Forms & if so, how/where?

As a US citizen or resident, you should include your UK pension on your US taxes. You will start to enter the amount under the Federal section, the information will be transferred over to the State section. Please revisit the state section to verify all the entries.

To enter the UK pension in TurboTax online program, you will need to create a substitute form 1099-R.  

Here are the steps:

• Sign in to your account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, type in 1099r, then Enter
  • Select Jump to 1099r
  • On-screen, Your 1099-R / Did you have any of these income in 2019?, answer Yes and select Continue
  • Next screen, Choose your bank or brokerage, select I'll type it in myself
  • On the screen Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have, check the box I need to prepare a substitute 1099-R and follow the prompts. 

As to the Federal ID, UK pensions often do not have the ID number.  Please try entering nine 9s. If electronic errors occur due to 1099-R data entry, enter the pension under Miscellaneous income, see below instructions.  As long as the IRS has the pension reported and included in total income, it is not problematic. 

Here is the alternative:

• After sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To your left, select Federal, from the top, select Wages & Income, scroll down to Less Common Income ( very last section on the screen) 
  • Click on Show more drop-down menu, scroll down to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-CStart 
  • Select Miscellaneous IncomeOther reportable income, select Start to enter info.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

this would also depend very much on where you live now (UK or US and what type of pension it is. Please have a look at the UK US tax treaty <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/uk.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/uk.pdf</a>
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Should I include my United Kingdom Pension in my Federal &amp; State Tax Forms &amp; if so, how/where?

As a US citizen or resident, you should include your UK pension on your US taxes. You will start to enter the amount under the Federal section, the information will be transferred over to the State section. Please revisit the state section to verify all the entries.

To enter the UK pension in TurboTax online program, you will need to create a substitute form 1099-R.  

Here are the steps:

• Sign in to your account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, type in 1099r, then Enter
  • Select Jump to 1099r
  • On-screen, Your 1099-R / Did you have any of these income in 2019?, answer Yes and select Continue
  • Next screen, Choose your bank or brokerage, select I'll type it in myself
  • On the screen Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have, check the box I need to prepare a substitute 1099-R and follow the prompts. 

As to the Federal ID, UK pensions often do not have the ID number.  Please try entering nine 9s. If electronic errors occur due to 1099-R data entry, enter the pension under Miscellaneous income, see below instructions.  As long as the IRS has the pension reported and included in total income, it is not problematic. 

Here is the alternative:

• After sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To your left, select Federal, from the top, select Wages & Income, scroll down to Less Common Income ( very last section on the screen) 
  • Click on Show more drop-down menu, scroll down to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-CStart 
  • Select Miscellaneous IncomeOther reportable income, select Start to enter info.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies