Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As a retiree receiving only $890/month in social security with no other form of income, is it normal to owe nothing in taxes nor receive any refund?

I am retired and only made $11,000 in Social Security, with $1,300 of that going to medicare. I live with my son and do not own a home or pay rent (I sold my home 2 years ago.) After filling out all the information in Turbo Tax, it says I had the uncommon situation of not owing any taxes or receiving any tax refund both federal and state. I was worried that Turbo Tax said it is "uncommon for that to situation to happen." I just assumed it was because I received s little from Social Security (only $890/month.) Does it sound normal for a retiree getting $890/month   in social security with no other form of income to owe nothing in taxes and get nothing refunded? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

As a retiree receiving only $890/month in social security with no other form of income, is it normal to owe nothing in taxes nor receive any refund?

If all you have is Social Security Income, you do not have a filing requirement and no return needs to be filed... you have no taxes to pay and no refund to be received.

What the program is telling you is that since there is no income to report on the return, you have an uncommon situation and the return cannot be filed Electronically.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Thank you for the prompt response! Turbo Tax is still allowing me to e-File both Federal (for free) and State (for $24.99.) Should Turbo Tax still be allowing me to e-File? I don't mind e-Filing, but I was just wondering why Turbo Tax is allowing me the option.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies