Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

scfaris

I have a 1099 div from 401K. Do I enter in this years return? I thought I pay taxes only when I withdraw from 401K?

I show both dividends and Capital Gains on 1099 DIV.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

I have a 1099 div from 401K. Do I enter in this years return? I thought I pay taxes only when I withdraw from 401K?

Are you sure it's from your 401K?  In tax-deferred accounts such as IRAs, 401(k)s and annuities, there is no current taxable event when dividends are paid within the plan; therefore no 1099-DIV is sent to the investor.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Are you sure it's from your 401K?  In tax-deferred accounts such as IRAs, 401(k)s and annuities, there is no current taxable event when dividends are paid within the plan; therefore no 1099-DIV is sent to the investor.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
BigB2238

Did you find the answer. I am in a similar situation.. got a rollover to ira from 401k, the dividend came afterwards and was deposited into the ira account - meaning was not used as a distribution. I still got a 1099-div for this, I need to figure out how to claim it as expense after reporting it in income section.

Contact the 1099-Div issuer ... it should NOT have been issued for a 401K or IRA account.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies