turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kvwillbur

Can I deduct final medical expenses for a deceased parent that I received a 1099r for an IRA they had

My mother passed away Nov. 2017. I received a 1099R in 2018 for an IRA that she had. Is there a way to deduct the final medical expenses that I paid and the monies that I distributed to siblings all in 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anita01

Can I deduct final medical expenses for a deceased parent that I received a 1099r for an IRA they had

Are you filing a final tax return for your parent or her estate?
kvwillbur

No this is my personal tax return
Anita01

To claim medical expenses, that would be part of your itemized personal deductions.  You would only deduct medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income.  If you're not already itemizing, they may not help you as you can only use itemized deductions if the TOTAL of all of them exceeds your standard deduction.  In the case of your mother, her medical expenses would only be deductible by you if she met all the qualifications to be your dependent prior to her death, except that her income could be over $4100.

She's obviously related to you, had to be a US citizen or resident, would not be filing jointly with a spouse, and did not have to live with you.

Lastly, the amounts you distribute to siblings are not deductible by you.  If you were the sole beneficiary, the distribution is all taxable to you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies