turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bvrnicho

My 1099 R form is different then the instructions

the boxes don't match up
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Are you entering your 1099R in the correct section?

To enter your retirement income, Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>IRA  401 k) Pension Plan Withdrawals to enter your 1099R.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Are you entering your 1099R in the correct section?

To enter your retirement income, Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>IRA  401 k) Pension Plan Withdrawals to enter your 1099R.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
sonygirl4

Since the problem still exists, there should not be a recommended answer here at all. And since I am a tax preparer of 20+years, I'd like to know why form 1099-R for Pension Distributions in TurboTax isn't lining up with an actual 1099-R we received

Point- TurboTax 1099-R form for a Pension Plan. Lines 12, 13, 14, and 15 on turbotax are as follows

12 - StateTax Withheld
13 -State ID
13 - Payer's State No.
14 - State Distribution Amt

Real nice. Turbotax has listed #13 Twice? And, the 4 sections listed do not even coincide with the 1099-R form I have. My form 1099-R reads as follows:

12 - State Distribution
13 - Local Tax Withheld
14 - Name of Locality
15 - Local Distribution

Really now? This is what we have to pay for? Inaccuracies that prevent prompt filing of tax returns isn't something intuit gets penalized for, but they should. I'm not content here. I think this is more than just a small oversight. It would be unacceptable if I were the one making such an error at my job,.

Whether a careless mistake, an inaccuracy, or just poor instructions that have little explanation or justification, it definitely requires changes promptly. I filed my own taxes already and since then, the version I used had several updates and bug fixes, 2 of which required me to provide information to make sure my return was complete and proper. I'm not trying to say I think intuit is a poor choice for doing taxes. In fact, I use nothing but turbotax and have for over 10+ years. But I do not like seeing such blatant inconsistencies and errors when there is cost attached to them. In alot of instances our time is worth money too. Better auditing of software would be nice. But nobody from intuit is posting an answer with an actual solution or acknowledgement of an error in the tax software so how can this be a recommended solution? It's as if the solution is saying intuit isn't at fault here when they are.

If there are any potential pension payers that use a different format on their 1099-R, Turbotax should have noted this and guided users to properly address it. This issue is still unresolved, and has been for a while. Unacceptable

Have same problem you may have to contact 1099-r provider for correct form, explain to them turbotax issue

having same problem:

Yes I am, the form does not match the turbo-tax input, the only boxes on 1099-r form are 1,2a,2b,4,7 and 12, total distribution is blank, there are five boxes showing amounts of Gross Distrbution but no total, box 4 federal tax withheld all five say zero, box 12 state withheld all five say zero

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies