turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

torpeau

Are the yearly 401-a distibutions my retired (school teacher) wife has been getting for years considered RMDs or does it even matter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Are the yearly 401-a distibutions my retired (school teacher) wife has been getting for years considered RMDs or does it even matter?

Yes, they may be considered RMDs if your wife is over 10 1/2. All retirement accounts, even pensions and annuities, must meet the RMD requirements. However, the way the pension plans meet the RMD requirements is by creating an annuity paid periodically.  If you are asked about your wife's distribution... simply select YES to the RMD question (Was this withdrawal RMD and all of this was RMD).  You will also be asked if the amount reported is paid periodically in equal amounts.  By selecting YES the RMD requirements are met and you may continue with the tax preparation.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Yes, they may be considered RMDs if your wife is over 10 1/2. All retirement accounts, even pensions and annuities, must meet the RMD requirements. However, the way the pension plans meet the RMD requirements is by creating an annuity paid periodically.  If you are asked about your wife's distribution... simply select YES to the RMD question (Was this withdrawal RMD and all of this was RMD).  You will also be asked if the amount reported is paid periodically in equal amounts.  By selecting YES the RMD requirements are met and you may continue with the tax preparation.

Manage cookies