turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DavidS3
Returning Member

Are contributions to a Sep Ira for freelancers based on 25% of gross income or 25% of net income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Are contributions to a Sep Ira for freelancers based on 25% of gross income or 25% of net income?

It is based on net earnings minus one half of your self employment tax. 

It shows you added the LIVE expert help feature for a higher cost.  Ask the expert.  How to connect to an expert in Turbo Tax Live

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/expert-review/help/how-do-i-connect-with-a-tax-expert-in-turbotax-...

dmertz
Level 15

Neither.  For a sole-proprietor it's 20% of net earnings.  Net earnings are net profit minus the deductible portion of self-employment taxes.

DavidS3
Returning Member

Thank you. Do capital gains play into the picture at all? In other words, if I have substantial capital gains, can a portion of those gains add to the amount I can contribute to a SEP?

No. The calculation depends only on your business income. 

DavidS3
Returning Member

Got it. Thank you again. One last thing- if I exceed the limit, what happens to the excess?

dmertz
Level 15

Unless corrected, excess SEP contributions are subject to a 10% excess-contribution penalty reported on Form 5330.  TurboTax does not support Form 5330.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies