turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Doesn't Turbo Tax double check for mistakes on our end? I placed the same amount on two different lines resulting in money owed to the IRS.

It was to my understanding that Turbo Tax checks for mistakes that we make. I accidentally added my 401(k) contributions to the IRA line as well. This actually doubled a benefit that I need to repay now.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Doesn't Turbo Tax double check for mistakes on our end? I placed the same amount on two different lines resulting in money owed to the IRS.

Turbotax checks for accurate calculations with the data that is entered. We have no way of knowing if you did or didn't make an IRA contribution in addition to your 401(k) contributions. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

And how would TT know that you did not also have an IRA?

Evidently I placed the same amount on 2 different spots. I would have thought the identical amounts might have been a red flag.

Turbotax checks for accurate calculations with the data that is entered. We have no way of knowing if you did or didn't make an IRA contribution in addition to your 401(k) contributions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies