Am 22yrs old living with my dad I do part time job, If my dad claim me on his tax form will that affect my tax returns

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Being claimed as a dependent does not affect your tax return.  Just make sure that you indicate on your tax return that you can be claimed as a dependent.

SharonD007

If your parents are claiming you on their tax return, when completing your taxes, make sure that you state that you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return. ‌ Refer to the TurboTax article: How do I indicate that I can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return?

Your father will need to make sure that he is able to claim you on his tax return.  Below you will find the basic qualifiers that you will have to meet for him to claim you as a qualifying child:

For a Qualifying child 

• They must be related to you. 
  • They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else. 
  • They must be a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident. 
  • If they are married, they cannot file a joint return with their spouse. 
  • They must be under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students). 
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children. 
  • They must have lived with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply). 
  • They did not provide more than half of their own support for the year. 

If you don't meet the requirements as a qualifying child, you may meet the requirements as a qualifying relative.  Please review the TurboTax Help article Who can I claim as my dependent?

@erzoah2001- 

If you can be claimed as a dependent, you need to check the box that says you can be claimed, even if you weren't going to be claimed.  

Being eligible as someone else's dependent changes a few small things on your tax return.  For example, you can't contribute to a health savings account.  And if you are in college, the person who can claim you as a dependent will generally claim any education credits instead of you.  But mostly, it doesn't change that much.

However, unless you attended school full time at least 5 months of 2023, your parents probably can't claim you.  Review the rules as noted by the other experts.