Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tribard

If I do an early withdrawal from my retirement account, I understand that I will be subject to the 20% federal income tax as well as a 10% early withdraw penalty. Will that withdrawal amount be considered income for the year and be taxed federally again a

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I do an early withdrawal from my retirement account, I understand that I will be subject to the 20% federal income tax as well as a 10% early withdraw penalty. Will that withdrawal amount be considered income for the year and be taxed federally again a

You will owe regular income tax, which can be between 10%-39% depending on your other income.  You will also owe a 10% penalty.  Any withholding at time of withdrawal is only an estimate.  The actual tax due is calculated on your tax return, and if you did not have enough withheld you will have to pay more; if too much was withheld you get it back as a refund.

Don't forget state income tax as well.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

The 20% that you heard about is mandatory tax *withholding* on a distribution that is eligible for rollover, not your actual income tax liability for the distribution.  See the answers below regarding how your income tax liability is determined.

You will owe regular income tax, which can be between 10%-39% depending on your other income.  You will also owe a 10% penalty.  Any withholding at time of withdrawal is only an estimate.  The actual tax due is calculated on your tax return, and if you did not have enough withheld you will have to pay more; if too much was withheld you get it back as a refund.

Don't forget state income tax as well.

The withdrawal amount will be considered income for the year, but the program will give you credit for taxes withheld (just like with a W-2).  Your actual tax due may be more or less.

Remember state taxes as well. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies