incometaxreturn1

All the years my husband and I have been married, his name and social security # was first on our return. Will it cause problems if my name and SS# are first this time?

Carl

If you are filing joint, then yes it will. May I enquire as you why you ask? Maybe he passed in 2016?
incometaxreturn1

We've had someone else figure our taxes for many years. I gave TurboTax a try. When I started, I was asked my name so I put it in. Everything I see shows my name first so I got to wondering if it would list it on the return that way. How can I change it?
Carl

Go ahead the way you are, since this is your first time with TurboTax. I would expect you'll be fine. Problems arise because of the IRS computer's expectation of what they call the "primary tax filer". But if you used a CPA or tax preparer in the past, they don't access the same computers us "common" tax filers do. So you should be fine.
Be aware also that since you're using the online version of TurboTax, do not register or pay your fees until you are 100% satisfied with the end result and are ready to file. It's just easier to fix things before you register or pay your fees, than it is after you register or pay.
In the meantime, if you have more questions as you're working through the program, please ask. If you e-file and your e-filed return is rejected, then post back with the reject error and the code (if any) and it will save us time helping you to fix any issues.
incometaxreturn1

Thanks. I have another question regarding which section of TurboTax relates to Line 23 on Form 1040. In the past I've been able to deduct up to $250 for items for my classroom. I was confused as to which section that would be under so I haven't put that in. It seemed that the questions were geared for a home business office with no question directly related to teachers for Line 23. Any suggestions?
Carl

As you work through the program, you'll see that you enter income stuff first. Then after you finish everything under the Personal Income tab (sometimes called Wages & Income tab) you'll be moved to the Deductions and Credits tab. As you work through the different selections under that tab, you'll come to a section called Employment Expenses. Within that section is one specifically labeled Teacher (Educator) Expenses. That's where you'll enter expenses you paid as a teacher. Do not get confused with the section called "Education". That's for college students, and the parents of college students. Not for your teacher expenses.
Just take you time. Seems to me you're doing just fine. Any more questions, please ask.
Melaine

Please see TurboTax FAQ on this subject below.