turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT EZstep not properly handling Backdoor Roth. Entered t-IRA contrib'n (non-deductible), then 1099R t-IRA dist'n, indicating converted to Roth & year end basis zero.

TT EZstep is not completing the backdoor roth transaction properly. It is counting the t-IRA distribution as taxable unless I manually correct the 8606 form. I've indicated the t-IRA contribution is non-deductible, and the t-IRA distribution was converted to Roth, and I've indicated the year end basis of the t-IRA was zero. I ran into this same issue last year.  The EZ step process needs to be fixed.  Please!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

TT EZstep not properly handling Backdoor Roth. Entered t-IRA contrib'n (non-deductible), then 1099R t-IRA dist'n, indicating converted to Roth & year end basis zero.

After speaking with TT and running through the steps together, I found the issue that will resolve this.  It is important to answer the first question correctly when doing the IRA contribution section under "Deductions."

That question is: "Select the kind of IRA you OWN or will contribute to in 2018."  You need to check BOTH boxes for Traditional IRA and Roth IRA.  That answer triggers the correct follow up questions that properly completes the 8606.

I pointed out it is easy to miss this since one assumes you are only reporting here the actual contribution to the traditional IRA.  But the word "own" means you also owned the Roth IRA during the year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies