Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cspinel

After recently filing my taxes, I forgot to include a distribution from my 1099. What would I have to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

After recently filing my taxes, I forgot to include a distribution from my 1099. What would I have to do?

If your return has been e-filed and accepted, you will need to file an amended tax return, but you can't do that right away. You have to wait until the 1040X form is available (probably in mid-February), or until you get your original refund, whichever is later.

This is how you amend in Turbo Tax Online:

1.   Sign in to your Turbo Tax account.
  2.   Scroll down to Your tax return & documents, click Show on the right.
  3.   Select 2019 and then click Amend (change) return.
  4.   Once you get to the screen that asks what you need to change, select the name of the form that you need to add.
  5.   Carefully follow the instructions to finish your return. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns. If you will get more money back by amending, the refund box will show you the amount.If you owe due the changes, the amount will show in red.
  6.   When finished, follow the instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed my 2019 taxes a few days ago using Turbotax basic (computer program, not the online version) and received a 1099 last night that should have been included.  My return was already accepted by the IRS.  How to I amend my return using Turbotax Basic?  

MayaD
Expert Alumni

If your return has been accepted, wait until your return has been fully processes and you received your refund ( if you are expecting a refund ), then amend your return. 

Here's how you amend your return:

1. Sign in to you account.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents , select 2019 and then Amend (change) return
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Follow the instructions, your refund or tax due will change to 0. This is normal on amended returns.

Amended return can't be e-file, you need to print it and mail it in.

On the Tax Home web page when the Form 1040X for amending a 2019 tax return becomes available there will be a link - Amend (change) return. Form 1040X will be available on 02/20/2020.

Thank you - since I don’t use the online version, how do I amend on my downloaded version of TurboTax?  Same way?

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

Please note that the amended forms are not ready yet. The directions for amending your return in TurboTax Desktop are included in the link below.

Amending Your Return

Forms Availability

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies