turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rhkoelb

After entering 20 1099's, the program no longer shows the button to add more. How can I add more?

The program seems to be limited to no more than 20 1099's.  I have more than that.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

After entering 20 1099's, the program no longer shows the button to add more. How can I add more?

The 20 limit is an IRS e-file limit so TurboTax matches that, but there is no IRS limit for mailed returns.

You can combine boxes as long as the box 7 codes are the same and enter as a single 1099-R, but if they have box 4 withholding they should be entered separately.

If box 4 amounts are combined to meet the 20 limit then all of the 1099-R's with box 4 withholding should be physically attached to a mailed tax return.

Just like a mailed return, W-2's and 1099's that have tax withholding must be attached to a mailed tax return and sent with the tax return. 1099's without withholding are not. e-file is the same. Nothing on a 1099-R's that has no withholding gets sent to the IRS except the totals that appear on lines 15a/b & 16a/b, but is there is withholding (in box 4) then all of the 1099-R information gets sent to the IRS so a combined box 4 will not match any 1099-R submitted by the payer and will probably result in a letter from the IRS.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

8 Replies

you may have to consolidate 1099-s that have similar aspects. e.g. income reported  in the same box etc.
The Payer doesn't really matter as long as you report the grand total.

What kind of 1099s?  1099Int, 1099Div, 1099B, 1099Misc, 1099G, 1099R, etc.
rhkoelb

1099-R

Yes 20 is the limit.  I’m checking if there is a way to combine some of them.  Are they all separate or are they for different funds in the same account?
rhkoelb

I can combine them. My wife and I have money in the same funds, so we both received 1099s. We file jointly, so would think I can combine them. Thanks

No you can not combine ones for different people.  @dmertz
dmertz
Level 15

While there are some circumstances where combining Forms 1099-R between spouses might be feasible, there are many circumstances where it would make a real mess of things.  I don't think it's within the scope of this forum to describe how to combine Forms 1099-R between spouses because there are so many different ways doing so could go wrong.  I would limit to combining forms issued from the same account, with the same code in box 7, with the same marking of the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box and no dollar amounts in any boxes other than 1 and 2a.

The 20 limit is an IRS e-file limit so TurboTax matches that, but there is no IRS limit for mailed returns.

You can combine boxes as long as the box 7 codes are the same and enter as a single 1099-R, but if they have box 4 withholding they should be entered separately.

If box 4 amounts are combined to meet the 20 limit then all of the 1099-R's with box 4 withholding should be physically attached to a mailed tax return.

Just like a mailed return, W-2's and 1099's that have tax withholding must be attached to a mailed tax return and sent with the tax return. 1099's without withholding are not. e-file is the same. Nothing on a 1099-R's that has no withholding gets sent to the IRS except the totals that appear on lines 15a/b & 16a/b, but is there is withholding (in box 4) then all of the 1099-R information gets sent to the IRS so a combined box 4 will not match any 1099-R submitted by the payer and will probably result in a letter from the IRS.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies