Solved: 67 yr old receives a pension from NYC 53k and SS $18k= $71k. Is she exempt from NYS and NYC tax? your program only exempts her for 20K and has to pay taxes on the rest

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

67 yr old receives a pension from NYC 53k and SS $18k= $71k. Is she exempt from NYS and NYC tax? your program only exempts her for 20K and has to pay taxes on the rest

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

67 yr old receives a pension from NYC 53k and SS $18k= $71k. Is she exempt from NYS and NYC tax? your program only exempts her for 20K and has to pay taxes on the rest

You need to pick the exact correct NY-source of the pension on one of the pages that follows the main 1099-R form.

A couple of those selections only allow a 20,000 exclusion (but I don't know which)

*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Level 15

You need to pick the exact correct NY-source of the pension on one of the pages that follows the main 1099-R form.

A couple of those selections only allow a 20,000 exclusion (but I don't know which)

*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

What if the source is not listed? I worked for a large IT company and receiving monthly pension.
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings