turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401k rollover to traditional and roth Ira

I was laid off last year from a job I was in for 15 years.  Part of the process was rolling over my 401k and pension accounts to IRA accounts.  A portion of my 401k was pre-tax.  Another portion was post tax.  The pre-tax portion was rolled over to a traditional IRA.  The post tax portion was rolled over to a roth IRA.  I received a 1099-R with both amounts combined and designated as "G" a rollover to a traditional IRA.  A portion was also designated on the form as being a roth.  Your program asked me if this money went to a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA.  It did not give me the option to designate both or to specify what was traditional and what was Roth.  I am unsure how to handle this as my Roth rollover should be designated "H".  Both accounts went straight to a retirement account.  They should not be taxable.  How should I proceed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

The code-G Form 1099-R is correct.  Code H is for a rollover from a Roth 401(k) to a Roth IRA, not for the rollover of after-tax money from the traditional 401(k) to a Roth IRA.

To enter this into TurboTax you must split the Form 1099-R into two, one for the portion rolled over to the traditional IRA and the other for the portion rolled over to the Roth IRA.  Both must have code G.  The one for the portion rolled over to the Roth IRA will have the after-tax amount in box 5 and the one for the portion rolled over to the traditional IRA will have a zero in box 5.

RMDmissed2022
Returning Member

Is this still the case in 2023?  Users must fill out two 1099-Rs in Turbo Tax; one for the Roth rollover and one for the traditional.

After 3 or more years of this, why can't Turbo Tax address this in the program?  At least provide an explanation that this needs to be done, even if the program itself can't be amended to accommodate the traditional/Roth split.

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies