Solved: 22% or 12%? Have Foreign income and social security/US pension income. TurboTax calculates $14,000 taxable income and subject to 22% tax rate and not 12%. Why?

22% or 12%? Have Foreign income and social security/US pension income. TurboTax calculates $14,000 taxable income and subject to 22% tax rate and not 12%. Why?

I am 67 married filing jointly living in UK both of us working and receiving SS. I am receiving annual payments from my pension. I don't understand how my tax was computed. The tax table say 12% but TurboTax calculated 22%. What am I missing?

What are you missing ?   The fact that the non excluded income is not taxed in a bubble ... the foreign income is used to compute the taxes as if it was not excluded. 

Good answer, where is this in the IRS documentation?

Form 2555 and the corresponding worksheet ... switch to the FORMS mode  to see that calculation.