turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2016 Hurricane Distribution? What's this?

I'm getting a screen that says, "Did Henry Repay Any 2016 Hurricane Distribution in 2018?"

I didn't apply for a Hurricane Distribution at any time.

Why am I getting this screen?

Is it OK to ignore?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If it doesn't apply to you then say No or skip it.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

If it doesn't apply to you then say No or skip it.

BruceF

I'm getting the same question as others about repaying my 2016 hurricane distribution.  I never had one, but rather than just ignore this question I would like to have it deleted from my system.  It must be some mistake within TurboTax for others and me to be asked this every year in error.  Shouldn't the software be fixed and/or some provision where individuals filling out questions like this can have a response such as "has never applied to me."?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

If the questions do not apply you should answer "NO" where applicable and leave the boxes blank.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
42baker--
Returning Member

I agree this question is dumb and Turbo Tax needs to address why it is coming up

I too get the question 2016 Hurricane Distribution and I see the pat answer to just say NO. I mark NO and it continues to ask how much I paid back towards my disaster relief! If I enter $0 the following questions are disturbing, It asks if I have made any repayments to my IRA or SEP, but the entry format is not a yes or no, it is a dollar amount enrty box. This looks all wrong!

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

Victims of certain disasters may be eligible for special tax treatment of pension distribution.

If the question does not apply to you, do not makes entries into the boxes and answer 'No'.

davesm2

“No” isn’t a choice given by Turbotax.  Please fix the software.

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

The questions are critical to anyone who has been through a disaster and had to take money from their retirement account to survive. They are given a special 3 year period to pay the taxes on the money.

The program feels repetitive because it has to ask for each of the prior year's that can still be in the 3 year cycle.

No is not an option, if you selected that your retirement income was from a disaster, the program remembers and will tax you for the next 2 years as required.  @bsg_sam1951, @davesm2  Please review your prior year returns and make sure you did file the full amount.

@BruceF

@42baker--

My 2018 turbotax application requests how much I have repaid for the 2016 Hurricane Distribution.  I have never received or applied for a Qualified Disaster  Distribution.  I reviewed my 2018 return for 2017, and all smart worksheets verify this.  I answered NO in this application.  My 2018 turbotax form will not continue without a numerical entry in the box. Answer 0 isn't accepted.  PLEASE ADVISE HOW I CAN PROCEED to complete my 2018 turbotax.  

Joseph Howver [email address removed].

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

You can just leave the fields blank if they do not apply to you.  If you have entered information from your 1099-R, everyone that enters information in that section gets asked the hurricane disaster questions because of the special rules allowing for retirement plan participants to access retirement funds to recover.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies