Solved: $20 total income last year via 1099's. Do I need to file?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$20 total income last year via 1099's. Do I need to file?

Last year I had no W2's, no unemployment income, absolutely nothing to worry about except $20usd via a couple of 1099's as self-employed. Do I need to file at all?

Also (and I just thought of this), can my significant other (unmarried) claim me as a dependent, since she paid for most of my needs (food, gas, other expenses)? No one else is claiming me as a dependent.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 4

No. You are not required to file a tax return for 2016, since your self employment income was under $400 and you had no other income.  

Based on the information above, your girlfriend should be able to claim you as a dependent. However, there are other requirements that she must meet. One of them, is that you must have been a member of her household for all of 2016. For a complete list of requirements, please visit the IRS link below.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/table_2_dependency_exemption_relative_4012.pdf

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Level 4

No. You are not required to file a tax return for 2016, since your self employment income was under $400 and you had no other income.  

Based on the information above, your girlfriend should be able to claim you as a dependent. However, there are other requirements that she must meet. One of them, is that you must have been a member of her household for all of 2016. For a complete list of requirements, please visit the IRS link below.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/table_2_dependency_exemption_relative_4012.pdf

View solution in original post

Thanks so much!
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings