Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

High deductible health plan contributions limit is 13,100 per year. why is the ,program telling me my wife overcontributed?

both parents have their own HSA claiming one child each. why is the program telling me my wife overcontributed by $3540?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

High deductible health plan contributions limit is 13,100 per year. why is the ,program telling me my wife overcontributed?

$13100 is an overcontribution.

The IRS views spouses as one tax unit, even if filing as “married filing separately,” so if either spouse is eligible for a family contribution limit, that is intended to cover both spouses.

The HSA family contribution limit for 2016 is $6750 ($7750 if 55 or older).  That is the maximum HSA contribution for you and your spouse combined if you each have an HDHP with family coverage.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/37/37_06_020.jsp?level=basic

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Your confusing the HDHP out of pocket maximum of $13100 with the HSA family contribution limit of $6750.
TomD8
Level 15

$13100 is an overcontribution.

The IRS views spouses as one tax unit, even if filing as “married filing separately,” so if either spouse is eligible for a family contribution limit, that is intended to cover both spouses.

The HSA family contribution limit for 2016 is $6750 ($7750 if 55 or older).  That is the maximum HSA contribution for you and your spouse combined if you each have an HDHP with family coverage.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/37/37_06_020.jsp?level=basic

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies