turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When is the last day to covert Trad IRA to Roth? Where is it in the pub?

I've already converted $14,000 this year to a Roth in calendar year 2016.  My overall income is much less this past year than expected, so I'd like to now convert more of my Trad IRA to my Roth IRA and pay taxes at the lower bracket in 2016 year.  I can't find reference to the last conversion date in the pubs, but I know other typical IRA contributions/recharacterizations are due on tax day.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

12/31/2016. Conversions are calendar year events. Unlike an IRA contribution or even a recharacterization, you can't do a conversion for 2016 in 2017.

A conversion is a distribution from an account- you are distributing from an IRA. Distributions can't happen after a year closes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

12/31/2016. Conversions are calendar year events. Unlike an IRA contribution or even a recharacterization, you can't do a conversion for 2016 in 2017.

A conversion is a distribution from an account- you are distributing from an IRA. Distributions can't happen after a year closes.

ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Its probably not something that you can locate in a pub. It is definitely not open for retroactive application, however.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies