Solved: 1099-R shows taxable amount as full amount even though it was converted to a Roth IRA. How do I correct in Turbotax?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dksgrs

1099-R shows taxable amount as full amount even though it was converted to a Roth IRA. How do I correct in Turbotax?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KenH1

1099-R shows taxable amount as full amount even though it was converted to a Roth IRA. How do I correct in Turbotax?

When you convert to a Roth, the entire balance is taxable (unless the account included non-deductible contributions) but there are no early withdrawal penalties.

Enter the 1099-R exactly as printed.  When you land on the 1099-R summary screen, select continue.

The software will ask a series of questions about "What you did you do with the money?" including Roth conversion questions.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KenH1

When you convert to a Roth, the entire balance is taxable (unless the account included non-deductible contributions) but there are no early withdrawal penalties.

Enter the 1099-R exactly as printed.  When you land on the 1099-R summary screen, select continue.

The software will ask a series of questions about "What you did you do with the money?" including Roth conversion questions.  

View solution in original post

dksgrs

Does it matter if the IRA contribution was post tax and was converted within a week? I contributed $5500 to the IRA and converted only $5200 because the IRA lost $300 in that time.
KenH1

Yes that does matter.  It would not be taxable.  After the 1099-R summary screen, answer the follow up questions, one of which is something like "were any of the contributions to your IRA previously taxed"
dksgrs

Got it, thank you.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings