Solved: 1099-R shows taxable amount as full amount even though it was converted to a Roth IRA. How do I correct in Turbotax?

dksgrs

1099-R shows taxable amount as full amount even though it was converted to a Roth IRA. How do I correct in Turbotax?

KenH1

When you convert to a Roth, the entire balance is taxable (unless the account included non-deductible contributions) but there are no early withdrawal penalties.

Enter the 1099-R exactly as printed.  When you land on the 1099-R summary screen, select continue.

The software will ask a series of questions about "What you did you do with the money?" including Roth conversion questions.  

KenH1

dksgrs

Does it matter if the IRA contribution was post tax and was converted within a week? I contributed $5500 to the IRA and converted only $5200 because the IRA lost $300 in that time.
KenH1

Yes that does matter.  It would not be taxable.  After the 1099-R summary screen, answer the follow up questions, one of which is something like "were any of the contributions to your IRA previously taxed"
dksgrs

Got it, thank you.