Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

paulapopp

1099-R everything taken was inheritance but it is still showing as adjusted gross income. It never asked if it was an inheritance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

1099-R everything taken was inheritance but it is still showing as adjusted gross income. It never asked if it was an inheritance.

Income shown on a Form 1099-R is taxable in the same way whether inherited or not (except that distributions from inherited retirement plans are not subject to any early-distribution penalty).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
paulapopp

Someone from TT had told me that when I was all finished entering, it would ask if it was an inheritance and it never did. How do I know it didn't penalize me?  
dmertz
Level 15

Any penalty would be present on Schedule 4 line 59.

Not all types of distributions cause TurboTax to ask if the distribution was made from an inherited IRA.  For example, Forms 1099-R that include code D in box 7 do not cause TurboTax to ask this as there is no reason to ask.  The important thing is that the Form 1099-R includes code 4 in box 7 to indicate that the distribution was paid to a beneficiary.  TurboTax will never apply a penalty to distribution reported with code 4.
dmertz
Level 15

Income shown on a Form 1099-R is taxable in the same way whether inherited or not (except that distributions from inherited retirement plans are not subject to any early-distribution penalty).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies