Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1 member S-Corp. Contributed to SEP-IRA 25% of the salary.Spouse is covered by a pension plan at work and we jointly. Can I cont $5.5K to IRA and still get a tax ded?

I have a single member S-Corp. Already contributed to SEP-IRA about 25% of the salary for tax year 2017. Spouse is covered by a retirement pension plan at work and we file tax return jointly. Can I still contribute $5500 to a traditional IRA and still get a tax deduction? If Yes, are there any income restrictions? If No, are there any alternatives?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmandaR1

1 member S-Corp. Contributed to SEP-IRA 25% of the salary.Spouse is covered by a pension plan at work and we jointly. Can I cont $5.5K to IRA and still get a tax ded?

Yes, for 2017 you would be able to contribute to a Traditional or Roth IRA for the $5,500 personal retirement contribution. 

Since you are both covered by employer plans, the deduction amount is limited based on income thresholds. For married filing joint (MFJ) filers, the deduction amount phases out over Modified AGI of $99,000 - $119,000

See this info at the IRS here: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/2017-ira-deduction-limits-effect-of-modified-agi-on-deduction-i...

Note: You can contribute to a Traditional IRA plan, regardless of your income, it just may or may not be deductible. These rules are not the same for Roth IRA. Contributing to a Roth is an alternative, but there is no tax deduction and there are income limitations to contribute (however they are much higher than the traditional limits). 

The benefit of the Roth, unlike Traditional IRAs, is that withdrawals aren't taxable (including earnings). See income limitations at the IRS here: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/amount-of-roth-ira-contributions-that...

dmertz
Level 15

It appears that BOTH spouses are covered by retirement plans at work, so each spouse is subject to the same deduction phase-out range of $99,000 to $119,000 of modified AGI.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies