TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject IND... - Community

EnglishEN

Pick a language

English Français
Get the latest stimulus news and tax filing updates.
Intuit

TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject IND-516-01: If the Primary Taxpayer is claimed as an exemption in the return, then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return

Most of the time, this rejection occurs when you try to claim an exemption for yourself after somebody else, usually a parent, has already claimed you as a dependent.

Less commonly, you can get rejected with IND-516-01 if you entered your Social Security number incorrectly or if somebody filed a fraudulent return using your Social Security number for their fake dependent.

First, verify that you entered your Social Security number correctly:

1. Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button.
  2. At the Let’s fix your returns and then refile page, select My Info in the left menu. Don’t select the Fix it now button.
  3. On the Personal info summary screen, compare your Social Security number to the number on your Social Security card.
    • If it's wrong, select Edit to fix, then Continue.

Next, follow the set of instructions (I, II, III, or IV) that apply to your situation.

1. Select File in the left menu.
  2. On the Welcome back screen, select Continue. (Don’t select Fix my return.)
  3. Select Start next to Step 3 and follow the instructions to e-file your return.

You'll need to remove your exemption so the e-file server doesn't reject your return again. Removing your exemption will increase your taxes.

1. On the Personal info summary screen, select Edit next to your name.
  2. On the following screen, scroll down to A few other things we need to know.
  3. Answer Yes to Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return and Yes to And this person will claim me on their 2019 tax return.
  4. Select Continue at the bottom of that screen.
  5. Select File in the left menu.
  6. On the Welcome back screen, select Continue. (Don’t select Fix my return.)
  7. Select Start next to Step 3 and follow the instructions to e-file your return.

You'll need to print and file your return because the e-file server won't let the same Social Security number go through twice.

1. Select File in the left menu.
  3. On the next screen, select Start next to Step 3, then select File by mail to print and mail your return directly to the IRS.

Unless the other party amends their return by removing you as a dependent, the IRS will eventually contact both parties to determine who gets to claim you. Once they've figured it out, one of you will have to repay any additional taxes (plus possible penalties and interest) attributed to the duplicate claim.

You'll need to print and file. Follow the instructions in III above.

It's likely that somebody filed a fraudulent return using your information. Contact us right away for further assistance.

Helpful resources

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post