TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject IND... - Intuit Turbo Real Money Talk

EnglishEN

Pick a language

English Français
Intuit
,Created with Sketch.63 helpful votes

TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject IND-516-01: If the Primary Taxpayer is claimed as an exemption in the return, then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return

Most of the time, this rejection occurs when you try to claim an exemption for yourself after somebody else, usually a parent, has already claimed you as a dependent.

Less commonly, you can get rejected with IND-516-01 if you entered your Social Security number incorrectly or if somebody filed a fraudulent return using your Social Security number for their fake dependent.

First, verify that you entered your Social Security number correctly:

1. Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button.
  2. At the Let’s fix your returns and then refile page, select My Info on the left-hand menu. Don’t select the Fix it now button.
  3. On the Personal info summary screen, compare your SSN to the number on your Social Security card.
    • If it's wrong, select Edit to fix, then Continue.

Next, follow the set of instructions (I, II, III, or IV) that apply to your situation.

1. Select File in the left-hand menu.
  2. At the Welcome back screen, select Continue. (Don’t select Fix my return, you've already done that).
  3. On the next screen, selectStart next to Step 3 and follow the onscreen instructions to e-file your return.

You'll need to remove your exemption so the e-file server doesn't reject your return again. Removing your exemption will increase your taxes.

1. On the Personal info summary screen, select Edit next to your name.
  2. On the following screen, scroll down to. A few other things we need to know.
  3. Answer Yes toSomeone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return and Yes to And this person will claim me on their 2018 tax return.
  4. Select Continue at the bottom of that screen.
  5. Select File in the left-hand menu.
  6. At the Welcome back screen, select Continue. (Don’t select Fix my return, you've already done that).
  7. On the next screen, select Start next to Step 3 and follow the onscreen instructions to e-file your return.

You'll need to paper-file your return because the e-file server won't let the same SSN go through twice.

1. Select Filein the left-hand menu.
  2. At the Welcome backscreen, select Continue. (Don’t select Fix my return.)
  3. On the next screen, select Start next to Step 3, then select File by mail to print and mail your return directly to the IRS.

Unless the other party amends their return by removing you as a dependent, the IRS will eventually contact both parties to determine who gets to claim you. Once they've figured it out, one of you will have to repay any additional taxes (plus possible penalties and interest) attributed to the duplicate claim.

You'll need to paper file. Follow the instructions in III above.

It's likely that somebody filed a fraudulent return using your information. Please contact us right away for further assistance.

Helpful resources

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Ready to Try TurboTax?

Returning? Sign in