This rejection occurs when the date of birth for the first person listed on the return is either incorrect or doesn't match IRS records.
- Sign in to your account and select Fix my return.
- Mobile app users: Sign in at TurboTax.com in your mobile browser or another Internet-enabled device.
- At the Welcome back to TurboTax message, select Fix it now.
- You'll see instructions for confirming or changing your birthdate.
- Make sure you get the date of birth from an official document such as driver's license, government ID card, passport, or birth certificate.
- The date should be in the United States month/day/year format (MM/DD/YYYY). For example, March 12, 1981 should be entered as 03/12/1981, not 12/03/1981.
What if the date of birth is correct?
Most likely, the IRS has the wrong date of birth on file. In this scenario, you won't be able to e-file because the date you're entering doesn't match their records.
- Select File in the left menu.
- Select Continue.
- Select Start next to Step 3: Get ready to save and file your returns.
- Select Change next to your federal return.
- Select File by mail and follow the instructions to print and mail your return.
Tip: To prevent this rejection next year, call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify their records (this is where the IRS database pulls from). If the info is wrong, please allow 4–6 weeks for correction.