This rejection can occur when a dependent's name or Social Security number has been entered incorrectly.
Less commonly, this rejection can be caused by a mismatch with the IRS database, or if the dependent's Social Security number was issued late last year.
Gather the Social Security cards for all dependents on your return and follow these steps to make sure their info has been entered correctly. Their name and Social Security number should match what's on their Social Security card. See Helpful Tips below.
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
- You'll be prompted to confirm the status of your return(s), then select Continue.
- At the Rejected message, Select Help Me Fix It.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to fix the error and re-file your return.
- TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject R0000-504-02: The name or Social Security number for a dependent on your return doesn't match IRS records
- E-file reject R0000-500-01: The name or Social Security number for the first taxpayer doesn't match IRS records
- E-file rejections related to incorrect or duplicated names, birth dates, or Social Security numbers