To resolve this rejection, you'll need to add Form 8862 (Information To Claim Earned Income Credit After Disallowance) to your return.
- Open your return in TurboTax and confirm the status of your return(s).
- After your return opens, search for eic inside your TurboTax program and then select the "jump to" link within the search results.
- Proceed through the Earned Income Credit section until you reach the screen Do any of these uncommon situations apply?
- On this screen, select the 5th box, I got a letter/notice from the IRS telling me to fill out an 8862 form to claim the Earned Income Credit.
- Keep going, and soon you should come to the screen Since you got an IRS notice, we need to check if any of these apply to your situation. Select No and continue.
- Switch to Forms mode and select Form 8862; complete it to the best of your ability. When finished, close form and select Continue.
- Now select Smart Check and go through Smart Check to find and correct any blank entries on the 8862.
- If you had to fix anything, run through Smart Check again until there are no more errors.
Once Smart Check completes with no more errors, you're ready to resubmit your return. Select File near the top of your screen and follow the onscreen instructions.