When attempting to change your filing method to "File by mail," (for example, if you're unable to e-file), you get this message in the Change Filing Methods pop-up window:
If you want to file by mail, you must go back and choose a different method to pay your taxes.
In addition, the File by mail button is grayed-out.
Explanation and Solution
This occurs if you previously chose the direct debit or credit card payment option to pay your IRS taxes due. In TurboTax, these two payment options are only available for e-filed returns.
To get around this problem, do the following:
- Click Cancel to close the Change Filing Methods pop-up window.
- Click Back until you're at the One more step and we'll file your returns screen.
- On this screen, click Revisit next to Here's how you chose to pay your taxes.
- Proceed to the How would you like to pay your federal taxes? screen.
- Select a payment option other than debit or credit card.
- Tip: To pay electronically, choose Pay by check and then visit www.irs.gov/Payments.
- Continue until you're back at the One more step screen (same screen as Step 2). Click the Prepare to Send button.
- On the next screen, click the I'd like to change filing methods link. You will now be able to choose File by Mail.