turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JesseJ
Intuit Alumni

Let's Say There's a Recession in the Next 2 - 4 Years, What Should I Do to Prepare?

2008 was a long time ago, but forgetting the past only means we're destined to repeat it. 

Not to be all DebbieDowner, but if we agree all good things must come to an end, and that economic cycles are cyclical, then it feels like a recession may be looming on the distant horizon. 

If that's the case, what's the best way to prepare (beyond saving as much money as I can)? Anyone have any tips/tricks to share? Anything they learned previously they plan to apply to this next cycle? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Let's Say There's a Recession in the Next 2 - 4 Years, What Should I Do to Prepare?

Do what I did prior to 2008. Save cash out the yaazoo. THen when the recession bottoms out, buy mutual funds out the yaazoo. I've made a killing just over the last six months, and have only pulled less than 5% of my 2008-2012 investments.

Personally, I don't see any chance of a recession that will matter, until sometime after 2020 at the earliest. Yeah, we'll have a few mini-drops and that's normal. But the earliest I see the next "big one" possibly coming, is after 2020. I won't get into any political discussions of why I see it that way, as that is not the purpose and intent of this public form.

JesseJ
Intuit Alumni

1. Thanks so much for the prompt reply

2. I always appreciate a dry powder strategy! And since we're here... any thoughts on mutual funds vs. ETF's? Whenever I attempt to parse the two my eyes start to glaze over. 

Thanks so much @Carl!

Carl
Level 15

You *really* need to meet my friend Dave Ramsey. It will be the best and most lucrative $125 you will ever invest in your lifetime. Here's a quote from him, copied from his page at https://www.daveramsey.com/askdave/investing/exchange-traded-funds-as-investments

QUESTION: Charles on Facebook asks what Dave thinks of an exchange-traded fund (ETF) as an investment device. Dave explains what it is and why he doesn’t like it.

ANSWER: The main reason to do an ETF is that it allows you to trade your stocks or trade your mutual funds easily and often. I don’t believe in that strategy. That implies you are trying to time the market, and you’re trying to buy things at the low point and ride them up to the high point. I am a buy-and-hold guy based on my understanding of the market, so I have no need for ETFs for that reason. I wouldn’t recommend them because I don’t recommend you buy and sell all the time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies