turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Similar Expenses for Regular Job and Small Business

I have worked for a company for 9 years and receive a W-2. This job involves mostly working in a home office with some travel. The travel involves personal use of my car for local travel and also company paid or reimbursed travel via airlines for out of state. I also own a small business that is a transport company (transporting rescue animals) that drives all over the country. I have large vans, use contract workers to drive, and have normal business expenses associated with a small business, but I do this job (scheduling, marketing, invoicing, etc) from my home office. Can I split office expenses, etc. between the two jobs or should home office expense be applied to only one? Although office space is shared, there are separate office supply expenses for each company. How can I add my personal (non company paid/reimbursed) travel expenses for the W-2 company and also add the small business travel expenses? Both jobs incur fuel, mileage, meals, tolls, etc. I certainly don't want to do the wrong thing, but certainly don't want to miss out on any deductions. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Similar Expenses for Regular Job and Small Business

Starting with 2018 tax returns, job-related expenses are NOT deductible on your federal return.  So forget using mileage, home office, etc. on your federal return for your W-2 job.  Some states will still allow deductions for W-2 job-related expenses so you will be able to enter the expenses, but they will not be deductions to your federal return.  The information flows from your federal return to the state return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

You can still enter the business expenses you have for your self-employment income on a schedule C.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies